Saturday, July 12, 2008

The benefits of showing up, shutting up, and doing what you're told.

Had a great day yesterday.

I accepted an invitation from a friend to play in a charity golf tournament in support of a new women's drug and alcohol rehab center. What's unique and so very special about this center is that it has been set up expressly for the purpose of keeping the women connected to their children during the treatment process. It's a phenomenally compassionate step forward in caring for the family, not just the patient.

I showed up yesterday ready to have a good time, share some laughs, and meet some new folks. I had no aspirations (false hopes) of scoring near the top. Minutes before tee-off, however, there was a need to fill some slots in two splintered foursomes and I said yes to being reassigned to a new, unknown group. Turns out it was a trio of younger guys who could each pound the ball 300 yards with ease. And so I focused on driving safe and earning points for pitching and putting.

Long story short, I now have a lovely 1st Place plaque sitting on my shelf, and the sweet knowledge that a whole bunch of kids get to sleep with their moms tonight instead of with strangers and fear. The smile you feel is me being grateful for opportunities like this, and the willingness to say yes. It's a good feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My back still hurts from carrying the foursome!!!! Thanks for your wisdom all day.