Sunday, March 30, 2008

"How many stars on your horoscope today?"

And with that the barista disarmed me. I could have waved him off or dismissed him with a smile if he'd simply asked me how my day was going, or if I was enjoying the weather or the playoffs or any of a million other questions to which my usual "Yep" is a sufficient answer.

But, no, he went a question beyond, a question deeper. I appreciated that and engaged in conversation for the short time we waited for the milk to foam. The bonus effect is that I walked away with a smile, and didn't think anything more of it. Until now, hours later, in the quiet of the evening, when the memory of the exchange came back to me. And I got to appreciate it all over again.

Not a bad reward for the barista and the Caribou brand for such a small investment of effort. And if you think it's an accident, well, you might want to check the details; make sure you're not leaving too many things to chance.

As for my horoscope? Five stars. It advised me to do more frolicking. Frolicking?!? Me? Hmmmm. We'll see.

No comments: