Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The art of quitting

Seth Godin has some interesting conversations going around his latest book project (The Dip) on the subject of quitting to get ahead. Made me reflect a little on the time I quit my first "real" job and took a 30% cut in pay to start over in my first empassioned job. And how that was the beginning of things really taking off.

And now, 30 or so years later, I'm going through a similar process of quitting to restart. Only with a lot more switchpoints and repurcussions...ripples?

Feels a little like the reductionist process that I so admire in art, especially Toulouse-Lautrec and Picasso --> continually stripping away, letting go, simplifying until you reach purest possible expression; a single stroke, one note, a breath, a smile, a heartbeat.

So I think I'll keep quitting and see where I end up before I quit altogether.

No comments: